Published by Springer-Verlag New York Inc. 1995. Paperback.
The landscape of Quantum Physics is explored by sending Alice to Quantumland, where each character she encounters explains a different aspect of quantum theory. Includes sections on the Uncertainty Principle, wave functions and the Pauli Principle. Even I understood some of it. Briefly.
From the publisher’s notes:
Alice falls through the screen of her television set and finds herself in Quantumland. This is a place where she encounters unusual characters who demonstrate to her the basics of quantum physics.
- She meets electrons, whose positions must be uncertain unless they are moving rapidly
- She visits the Heisenberg Bank and sees particles get short term energy loans
- She talks to the Uncertain Accountant who cannot make his books balance because of energy fluctuations.
- She meets the Quantum and Classical Mechanics at the Mechanic’s Institute and sees demonstrations of interference in their Gedanken room.
- At the Fermi Bose Academy she is told how the Pauli Principle deals with hundreds of identical electron students.
- From the Mendeleev Pier she explores the energy levels within an atom.
- She visits Castle Rutherford, the home of the nuclear Family.
- The three Quark Brothers explain the composition of strongly interacting particles at the Particle MASSquerade.
Available on amazon here.